Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Week Two - Shooting News and Feature Photos

Photo Credit: www.charitybuzz.com

Topic #1 - Photographer of the Week

For this assignment I have chosen to research photographer, Nigel Barker. Nigel served as a photographer and judge for 17 seasons of America's Next Top Model which is where I was introduced to him. In addition, he has his own show on VH-1 called The Shot and was awarded the "Film Heals" award for humanitarianism at the 6th Annual Manhattan Film Festival for Dreams Are Not Forgotten.

Nigel's claim to fame is his relationship with his models. Nigel began his career as a model and that seems to influence the choices he makes behind the camera lens. He is able to make his models look timeless through his ongoing ability to look at the bigger picture and makes sure that the model or subject of his photo is comfortable.

"Someone who is comfortable, someone who is happy, you see them immediately sit up, stand up and feel better about themselves. If you're able to capture that in a picture, that's the most beautiful picture you can ever take of someone". Nigel Barker

Topic #2 - Feature Photos

Two suggestions I particularly liked from the 22 Ways To Find a Feature list were:

1) Keep an idea book
2) Shoot from a unique vantage

These suggestions stood out to me because as I work my way through campus as a part time staffer and as a student I encounter many great story ideas and suggestions. Not always are they happening at that very moment so keeping an idea book would help me capture those thoughts and ideas and allow me the ability to preserve them when I have the time in the future to really process the ideas. Shooting from a unique vantage point is something I am working hard at doing this term. I want to make sure and not take the standard photos at eye level (or at least my eye level) and work to show my audience a different perspective that adds drama/emotions to a photo.

Over the next many week in this term I plan on implementing both of these strategies immediately. With all of my future photo assignments I will be making sure to take pictures with a unique vantage point whenever possible. Since we are required to turn in 3 different shots each week I am planning on making sure at least 1 if not all three really try to incorporate a unique vantage in the shot.

Weekly Photo Assignment


LBCC Benton Center offers multiple open studio hours for students currently enrolled in at least one ceramics class. Students can practice a wide variety of clay skills and firing techniques during these times.
Benton Center students Debbie Vandersomen and Susann Underwood (left to right) work on their clay skills during an open lab studio time at the LBCC Benton Center ceramics studio.

LBCC student Rebecca Suing adds design elements to a project for her ceramics class during open studio hours at the LBCC Benton Center. The state of the art facility includes stoneware kilns, raku kilns, electric kilns for bisque, salt kilns and motorized and kick wheels.




No comments:

Post a Comment